Life is Joy and Frustration

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Number of religious people rising

This weekend I heard on TV that the number of religious people is rising. This surprised me somewhat, although the last I heard about it was over ten years ago, that it was decreasing. It proves that historic trends tend to be cyclic; if you see it going in one direction, that doesn't mean it will keep going in that direction - l'histoire se repète. Being an atheist myself, I feel a little sad, although I respect peoples choices in religion, expecting they respect me for being an atheist.

Here in Belgium it seems that the number of religious people is still decreasing, judging by reports stating that the number of people going to church is decreasing. But people seem to adopt other religions, so that may be no indication either.

It also said that different catholic religions in Europe are clinging together, because of the increasing number of muslim immigrants. I hope this doesn't lead to crusades :-)

Oh well, if they really want a religion, can't they just choose Buddhism, that is very peaceful and would not go to war just because of religion. Than I would have a lot less to worry about. Oh wait, Buddhism is not considered a real religion. Too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home